NASCAR Canadian Tire Series Revs Into High Gear
2012 Series Opener at the new Canadian Tire Motorsport Park headlines a long weekend packed with live music, fireworks and more…
BOWMANVILLE, Ontario – (May 8, 2012) – On Sunday, May 20 the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series (NCATS) kicks-off the race season at the new Canadian Tire Motorsport Park as part of the Victoria Day SpeedFest Weekend presented by Castrol Edge. In addition to world class auto racing, the weekend program has something for everyone including camping, fireworks, live bands and so much more.
“We’re thrilled to be marking yet another milestone in our long history of supporting auto racing in Canada this year,” said Allan MacDonald, Senior Vice-President, Automotive. “Canadian Tire is excited to host the opening race of the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series at the newly renamed Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. We are pleased to bring Canadians the best in Canadian auto racing as well as a great entertainment experience for the whole family this Victoria Day weekend.”
In addition to the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series opener, the Vortex Brake Pads 200, and other races taking place during the Victoria Day SpeedFest Weekend presented by Castrol Edge, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park will have something for the whole family this year:
- Camping: Create a memorable long weekend experience with friends and family in the family camping area or on the general campgrounds at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.
- Canadian Tire Fan Zone: Fans will have the chance to gain access to the Canadian Tire Fan Zone where guests can watch the race and receive free snacks and exclusive Canadian Tire swag. A wristband policy is in effect but guests can obtain one by presenting Canadian Tire Money, a Canadian Tire Options Mastercard or a Canadian Tire receipt at the Canadian Tire Hauler in the Paddock area.
- Fireworks Display: When the sun goes down on Saturday, May 19 the sky will be lit by a long weekend fireworks display.
- Live Music: Live bands will be performing Saturday evening leading up to the fireworks and on Saturday and Sunday during the lunch hour.
- Carnival Games: From 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday, carnival games for the family will be taking place in the Paddock Area.
- Street Performers: Throughout the weekend street performers will entertain guests in the Paddock Area.
- Win a chance to meet Ron Fellows: Guests can win a chance to meet Ron Fellows and a ‘hot lap’ with the racing legend in his Camaro ZL1
“Whether you’re a racing fan or just looking for a great place to celebrate the unofficial start to summer, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park has something for everyone this May long weekend” said Myles Brandt, President and General Manager of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. “The Victoria Day SpeedFest Weekend kicks off a season full of events featuring some of the biggest names in racing and the entertainment industry.”
As part of further establishing itself as Canada’s automotive authority, Canadian Tire continues to foster the growth of motorsports in Canada. Entering its sixth season, the NCATS will host 12 races from Antigonish, NS, to Vernon, BC. In addition, earlier this year, Canadian Tire announced that 2011 NCATS Champion Scott Steckly will once again be sporting the iconic triangle on the race track.
For more information on the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series please visit
For more information on the 2012 Canadian Tire Motorsport Park calendar of events please visit
About Canadian Tire
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited (TSX: CTC.a) (TSX: CTC) is one of Canada’s most-shopped general retailers and the country’s largest sporting goods retailer, with more than 1,700 retail and gasoline outlets from coast-to-coast. Our primary retail business categories – Automotive, Living, Fixing, Sports, Playing and Apparel – are supported and strengthened by our Financial Services division, which offers such products and services as Canadian Tire Home Services, credit cards, retail deposits, in-store financing, product warranties, and insurance. Nearly 68,000 people are employed across the Canadian Tire enterprise, which was founded in 1922 and remains one of Canada’s most recognized and trusted brands.
For more information, please contact:
Stephanie Bonk, Canadian Tire
Ryan Chalmers, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park